Saturday 18 January 2014

The Good, The Bad and The Human Saxophone

The Voice continues to shape up very nicely indeed this week. Something has clicked among the judges that was lacking in Jessie & Danny, and that's light hearted banter that really does make me laugh out loud. Ricky and Kylie are actually rather amusing!

Talent wise, the biggest shock of the night for me was the criminal non-turn for Miles Anthony, the young lad with the disabled niece. The fact that he can make beats, produce his own arrangements AND sing like that is mind boggling. I would like to make a bold prediction here and now that in the future he will be bigger than The Voice winner. This boy is talented, and I'm gutted nobody turned.

I absolutely loved vintage girl Sophie May Williams too. A beautiful sense of style and a really unique, deep jazz voice. When Will started talking about buying old jazz records and sampling them, I was incredibly excited at the idea of him and Sophie working together: that voice + funked up jazz beats = "Right up my street dot com", to paraphrase Alexandra Burke.

The last chap, Jermain Jackson I was a bit dubious about. Seems like a lovely young man, don't get me wrong, but he had this weird technique of making his voice sound like various instruments that just sounded downright odd. He reminded me of the guy on Britain's Got Talent a couple of years ago who marketed himself as "the human saxophone" and just sounded like a crying baby.

In the tradition of allowing has-beens to audition, I'm praying for the moment when my childhood idol Betty Boo turns up, so I can find out if she is still in fact doin' the do. Which obscure ex-pop stars would you like to see on The Voice? Let me know below!



No comments:

Post a Comment